Wayside Waifs has the largest selection of adoptable pets in the Kansas City area. Our professional Adoption Center staff will help you find the best new companion to fit your lifestyle and needs.
The adoption process can take between 30 to 90 minutes, depending on the number of guests we are serving. We look forward to providing you with very personal attention as you embark upon the exciting adventure of becoming a new pet guardian!
A team member will assist you in the selection of the perfect pet. After spending some time with the animal, we will review the life and medical history of the pet you are interested in adopting. Together we will make sure the fit is perfect for both your family and the pet.
1. You will be able to take the pet home immediately as long as he/she is medically ready to go home (completed all age appropriate vaccinations and spay/neuter surgery) and you are prepared to leave with your new friend.
2. Place a $20 non-refundable deposit (applicable towards your adoption fee) on the pet, which will hold the animal for a maximum of 48 hours. If the animal is not picked up within 48 hours, the animal will become available for adoption to other shelter guests.
3. We recommend that all members of the household meet the pet chosen for adoption to ensure that the new pet is compatible with everyone.
4. If you rent your home, approval from your landlord is required before the adoption becomes final.
5. For some pets, we may recommend an introduction with your resident animal to ensure that they will get along. Arrangements for a "dog meeting" will be made during the matchmaking process.
6. Some pets may require a post-adoption consultation or training session to ensure the pet is adjusting well to his/her new home.
7. All dog and puppies must leave the shelter with an appropriate leash and collar (affordable leashes and collars can be purchased in our store, Whiskers and Wags. All proceeds benefit the animals at Wayside Waifs). All cats and kittens must leave in an appropriate carrier. These can also be purchased at Whiskers and Wags.
Our veterinary technicians will physically examine the pet, and review his/her pet's medical history with you. They will gladly answer any remaining questions about your pet.